Friday, October 11, 2013

San Diego: downsizing revisited; a year; walking speed; Death Watch; sealer






        The above is an Excalibur 26, a sister ship to my first boat--for that matter it might be my first boat.  She is new to the marina.
        I took delivery of mine in January 1967 at Oakland’s Jack London Square and in sailing her around to Berkeley Marina made my first solo sail, which I wrote about in an article titled, “Downsizing”.  The article was about my trend toward ever smaller headsails; but since then I’ve downsized boats as well.
        In August of 1967 the woman who was then a part of my life and I sailed the Excalibur to San Diego and then lived aboard for a year and a half on the other side of Quivira Basin, before I traded the Excalibur in on an Ericson 35, which a few years later I traded in on an Ericson 37 that I named EGREGIOUS.
        Although I don’t want to offend any Excalibur 26 owners, GANNET, though smaller, is superior in every way except interior volume.  I couldn’t stand up in the Excalibur, but the woman I was with, who was 5’ 6” tall, could, and I could sit upright without having to be on the cabin sole.  More critically, the Excalibur was not built well enough to go to sea.

----------

        This journal served one of its purposes when I found myself wondering when GANNET arrived in San Diego.  I knew it was about a year ago, but not the exact date.  It was October 15.  Carol and I arrived two days earlier.
        I’ve often noted that time is an uneven medium.
        The year has passed quickly.  But GANNET seems to have been here longer.

----------

        The Garmin Quatix shows that I walk at 3.3-3.4 knots, which is 3.8-3.9 mph, and seems right.
        I learned that I don’t need to reset the watch for a new time zone.  
        Upon arrival in San Diego I turned on the GPS function and when the watch found out where it was, the time was reset automatically.  
        
----------

        I thank Gregg for informing me of the “Death Watch”. 
        Not having a male member of my family survive to age forty for several generations, I didn’t need the watch to appreciate the point it tries to make.

----------

        The seals were quieter last night.
        They woke me a few times, but that goes with the territory.
        Sometime during the night I heard one breathing as it swam near GANNET.
        So I was surprised this morning to find a clump of them at the end of the dock.  I couldn’t count how many as I chased them back into the water.
        And today I have repeatedly had to chase others.  At least five or six times.
        One woman uses a paint ball gun.
        I’m continuing with the dock cart.
        It is too soon to know if I’m making progress.